1. What to expect
The first several days after placement of braces can be a little uncomfortable. This is because the teeth are beginning the realignment process and are not used to the pressure of the wires. During this time, we recommend eating soft foods and taking over-the-counter pain medication to help relieve the soreness.
2. Brushing and flossing with braces
Dr. B recommends brushing at least 3 times a day (after every meal) and for about 3 to 5 minutes each time. When you get your braces on, we will give you a goodie bag with a travel toothbrush and other items that will make it easier to keep your teeth and braces clean! To floss with braces, we recommend using floss threaders. You can use the threader to guide the floss above or below the wire so that you can floss the normal way you’re used to!
3. Visiting the Dentist
While in braces, seeing your dentist for cleanings and checkups at least every 6 months is important. Did you know that you can benefit from more frequent teeth cleanings while you are in braces? With braces on your teeth, it’s important that your teeth are clean and free of plaque and cavities. If you’re not up to date with your cleaning and checkup, be sure to call your dentist today!
4. Orthodontic Wax
Wax is a great tool to keep with you at all times. If you find that you have something sharp or poking, rip off a small piece of wax, roll it into a ball and squish it right onto the sharp part of your braces. You can also use the wax if you find that an area of your cheeks is irritated, place a piece of wax on the braces near that area to give your cheeks a chance to heal.
5. Foods to Avoid
NO – NO FOODS LIST
Eating certain foods can cause damage to your braces and wires. Loose bands, broken brackets and broken wires cause delays in your orthodontic treatment. Here is our list to help you through your orthodontic journey!ICE: May be nice but never chew it! It will damage your braces.
- ICE: May be nice but never chew it! It will damage your braces.
- PIZZA CRUST: The hard crust can bend the wires. The pizza part is ok.
- HARD PRETZELS, HARD ROLLS, BAGELS: They bend wires and break brackets.
- DORITOS, HARD TACOS, CHEETOS and the LIKE: They are too crunchy!
- APPLES: Slices are okay, just don’t bite directly into the whole apple.
- CORN ON THE COB: Cut the corn off of the cob.
- CHICKEN AND RIBS: Cut the meat off the bone.
- LOLLIPOPS, JOLLY RANCHERS, & HARD CANDY: They weaken your braces when you bite into them!
- POPCORN: The little kernels get between the gum and the braces.
- RAW CARROTS: Slice them thinly and eat with your back teeth.
- NUTS: Nuts are way too hard. NO NUTS OF ANY KIND.
- CARAMEL CORN, BUBBLE GUM, TAFFY, STARBURST: It sticks and it will pull wires out!
- PENS AND PENCILS: Chewing on pens, pen caps or pencils can break brackets.
There are many other foods that may cause trouble.
If you are in doubt, ask us about a particular food item.
REMEMBER: NOTHING HARD, NOTHING STICKY OR CHEWY,
AND NOTHING VERY SWEET!